Thursday, February 09, 2006

A Fine Quotation Worth Notation...


"I have tried to keep away from discussions about the politics of the contemporary liberal nation-state called the United States. First, I don't want to get sucked into the left-right dynamics in living and thinking as a Christian. Second, I don't think that the United States is 'real' -- I've never met the United States; I've never even seen it. It is a projection of human imagination that helps authorize certain individuals to control violence in a certain geographical area without fear of sanction. It's reality is only what we give it -- unlike the church which is real, the bodies of the poor are real, Christ's presence in the Eucharist is real. This is why I don't understand immigration issues because it presupposes that there are real lines on the earth called 'borders' that divide one part of humanity from another. I understand migration, mind you, just not immigration. The contemporary nation-state is merely a projection of human imagination, upheld by certain interests who benefit from such an imaginary construct." ~Pastor John Wright

Amen.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool. hey thanks for the help with my theology paper. and tell wes, craig, curtis, california hi for me. :)

10:45 AM  
Blogger Ryland said...

Hey,

Thats an intresting quote/ statment it makes me think of the make up and the look of the U.S. Well Hey I will see you in couple of weeks Cya lata playa hata.

-Ryland

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey tomas this is Joshua Patterson found your sight keep praising the lord see you at your wedding and much love from sparta Peace

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home